Monday, March 30, 2009

Further Down The Rabbit Hole

I spent most of my free time today reading from Growing Vegetables West Of The Cascades. There are astounding gaps in my gardening knowledge which I will have to fill pretty quickly. At times like these I find it helps to remember the words of Socrates when he said "the only thing I know is that I know nothing." It's important to approach gardening, or any subject for that matter, with the utmost of humility and readiness to learn.

I read most of the chapter on soil, and while it is true that the soil in our backyard is "relatively" good as I wrote in an earlier post, that still doesn't mean there isn't a substantial bit of preparation left to do before we will be ready to plant anything in it. Our soil in the Northwest is typically high in potassium, so I won't be adding any of that, but it does call for lime, phosphate, and plenty of compost. Looks like a trip to the nursery is order.

1 comment: