Thursday, April 2, 2009

Rainy days

Since Sunday's pleasant sunshine, we've had rain, snow and more rain. Spring rains are normal for our climate, but they begin to inundate the spirit when they carry on ceaselessly. The past few days I've spent reading and working with the seedlings. All are doing quite well, especially the various tomatoes.

After the fact (as it usually goes) I've learned that the best time to prepare an outside garden space is directly after the growing season (early fall) or else in late spring AFTER the rains subside. As a result we're probably going to have to deal with some compacted soil from the constant precipitation. Oxygen within the soil is immensely important to good plant/root growth, so it will be important for us to turn the ground again before we continue. Today I picked up a few pieces of hardware for turning our food grade barrels into rain barrels and will make the first attempt at building one. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the seedlings.

Tomatoes under the flourescents.


Cilantro (at left) and Cherry tomatoes (right)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this weather has been sucking. This is probably the most anxious time of the year for me with gardening. You get that taste of spring from seeing your seeds sprout, but you have to wait for the outdoors to catch up. Next year I'll get a true winter garden going and I'll be able to distract myself with the spring harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I've been reading about the winter gardening as well and can't wait to try it out myself.

    ReplyDelete