Sunday, March 29, 2009

Green Festival

Yesterday I attended the Green Festival in downtown Seattle at the Washington State Convention Center. Talk about information overload. In addition to stuffing myself on free organic samples and filling my backpack full of awesome swag, I sat up front for a presentation by Paul Stamets, perhaps the most knowledgeable man on the subject of fungi in the world. I bought his most recent book, Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save The World. He has developed a method, which he calls "mycoremediation," in which mycelium is used to break down toxic pollutants. I was thoroughly amazed to realize just how little we really know about these limitless organisms. In the book he also discusses a method called "mycogardening," that is, "the companion cultivation of mushrooms with garden vegetables," which can greatly increase the yield of vegetables while enriching and building the soil at the same time. Can't wait to see if we might be able to incorporate some sort of mycelium within our garden.

Today I'm returning to the Green Festival to see Amy Goodman (of Democracy Now) and John Perkins (author of Confessions Of An Economic Hitman) speak. Also, to fill up on more free food.

My signed copy. The transcription reads: For Mars- To the Earth!

1 comment:

  1. We've explored this book too...ordered and used some product to renew & detoxify the soil. Fun to see all your green efforts.
    Catching water makes so much sense. A great springtime to you.Of course to a gardener I am really saying, happy work time!

    ReplyDelete