Friday, July 24, 2009

Cloche Removal

Nathan and I pulled the cloche today. The tomatoes have far surpassed my expectations, shadowing the peppers and eggplants in the process, and necessitating the prompt removal of the cover. A jungle of jumbled tomato vines greeted us and the full summer sun as we lifted the plastic off. I was pleased to see several of the peppers with fruit already set peering from beneath the massive tomato hedge. Keeping the tomatoes at bay required additional staking in the form of 3-4' lengths of bamboo hammered into the ground and loosely twine-tied.

Judging by how well the tomatoes and peppers heretofore grown in full exposure to the elements next door to the cloche have performed, I foresee no issues arising in the absence of cover. August is yet before us as well. At any rate the cloche has proven mighty successful. I plan on using it soon as cover for a few winter crops I'll be attempting.

A branch of Health-Kick Hybrid tomatoes from the former cloche


Jalapeno pepper coming along nicely


The first eggplant

No comments:

Post a Comment