Tuesday, April 21, 2009

When a cold frame becomes a hot frame...

Yesterday was a lesson well learned regarding the heat-sinking capabilities of the cold frame. The high was 70 degrees, but inside the cold frame, it must have been much higher. High enough to scorch the few seedlings I had inside. See for yourself:


Pictured are a few luffa and birdhouse gourds that were left unattended. Until yesterday I had been removing the windows from the cold frame during the day (and returning it at night), so just such a thing wouldn't happen, but yesterday I went to my parents house in the morning and didn't return until the late afternoon. When I returned, the seedlings were wilted and bone-dry inside the sealed cold frame. I watered them and removed the windows; we'll see if any of them recover. If not I'll still have time to plant some more, as gourds prefer much hotter temps (though not as hot as they were subjected to) and a later, direct sowing might actually be beneficial over transplanting seedlings. At any rate, don't forget to be attentive to the cold frame! I'm off to the Oregon coast for a few days of camping with Jenn, hopefully my first sowed seeds will have been sprouted when I get back...

No comments:

Post a Comment