Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A caged fruit yet grows

Finally got around to buying tomato cages today. Couldn't find any that weren't made in China, oh well. A lesson well learned: place cages over tomatoes when they are freshly transplanted, before they have a chance to really take off. I made the mistake of procrastinating and letting the plants get bushy, thus making the process of getting them within the confines of the cage needlessly difficult. It required much patience and careful, deliberate movement of the plants' many branches, but in the end all turned out well. Both the tomatoes inside and outside the cloche are now caged and will have the support they require to hold up fruit.

I also took the opportunity to plant three squash seedlings my Dad gave me, two of which I believe are zucchini, and one I think is a yellow squash. He didn't label them so I won't know for sure until they fruit. Keeps it a little more interesting I suppose. Here's one of the plants after a good soaking:

Similar to potatoes, squash appreciate growing from a mounded hill of soil.

The peas have dominated the trellises, and are nearly four feet tall already:

Today I noticed their first blossoms , which means a bounty of snap and snow peas is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment