Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Brewed Storms

Last night I was wakened to the sound of my single-paned window rattling in its frame. The screaming wind bore down on the house almost as violently as the pelting rain that hasn't stopped since early yesterday afternoon. My chance to get some more seeds sowed was rained out, as looks like will be the case today. Luckily I was able to get some work done on Sunday. I planted a row of onion starts Nathan had sowed inside in 4" pots back in March. Also some basil and cilantro seedlings sprouted at about the same time. Next to the onions I planted some hills of potatoes, four that I bought as seed potatoes (a purple variety), and three that sprouted in the newly tilled/composted garden as volunteers. A look at what's new in the garden since Sunday:

Basil(left) and Cilantro(right)

Onions

Potatoes

I (reluctantly) planted three tomato plants in our front garden (against the concrete stairs that lead to the front door). I chose to plant them because I felt they had become too leggy, too tall for the pots I had transplanted them into. I imagine moving them into bigger pots at this point wouldn't serve much purpose, since I would be planting them outside in another two weeks anyway. Hopefully this bout of wind and rain will not take too much of a toll, though I'm sure they're not too pleased at the moment. Once the weather improves I imagine their placement will be beneficial to their heat-loving tendencies, as the concrete wall they are planted against absorbs heat during the day and should radiate heat long into the evening, something tomatoes ought to appreciate. Between them I also planted some basil and cilantro. Today should find me drawing up plans to build a tunnel cloche (essentially a mini greenhouse constructed cheaply of pvc pipe and polyurethane plastic) where I hope to grow tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. At least that will keep me busy until the rain stops.

As of now the tomatoes are loosely held upright to the wooden rail with gardening twine. I will probably have to devise a more inventive support system as they begin growing more rapidly (as they are an indeterminate variety and require some type of staking), but for now, it will make do.

1 comment: